Re: Fw: Feature requests

From: "A(dot)j(dot) Langereis" <a(dot)j(dot)langereis(at)inter(dot)nl(dot)net>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fw: Feature requests
Date: 2005-11-18 11:05:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

> A.j. Langereis wrote:
>
> > Nevertheless I ran into a "bug", or maybe better: a feature-request.
> > When one is creating a new foreign key via the tool, it is not possible
> > to select "no action" for either "on update" or "on delete". This is a
> > pitty, because "restrict", which is almost the same, doesn't allow
> > constraints to be deferrable. In order to solve this, the constraints
> > have to be made via the query tool.
>
> Obviously pgsql has changed unnoticed from us since this was implemented
> in pgAdmin back in 7.3 times. We'll add this.

Great!

> > Another request would be to able to "change" foreign key properties
> > (like Deferrable, Deferred, On Update, etc..). When applying the changes
> > pgAdmin would than drop the foreign key and recreate it with the new
> > settings. To garanty consistency the table could be locked exclusively.
>
> This isn't by far as easy as it sounds, because OID will change.

Hmm, that's a pitty... But what problems could that cause if the OID
changes? I always thought that it was a ID from the system catalogs. So if
you drop the FK and recreate it, that shouldn't be a problem? Or am I
overlooking something?

> > A final request would be to have "mouseover hints". This would really
> > benefit new user (and experienced ones with new features)!
>
> And show what? We do have mouse over on the toolbar, IMNSHO anything
> more would be annoing. People not knowing what the program does are good
> advised to RTFM, it won't bite.

I agree with you on the latter! Nevertheless, I think it can be very usefull
to have the hints for the properties in, for instance, the property screens.
Hints in the tree-view for instance would indeed be very useless..

Finally I would like to ask for another feature: let double clicking on an
object open it's property screen (if available). This would make working
with the tool more efficient!

Your sincerely,

Aarjan Langereis