Re: ODBC problem with Microsoft Word and Excel

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC problem with Microsoft Word and Excel
Date: 2007-03-05 15:19:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Original Message From "Karl Denninger"

>The part I don't understand is that I enabled logging and it appears to be
>returning the table list! Immediately after I attempt the connect from
>either EXCEL or WORD I pulled the logfiles.

I don't think the problem resides on the PostgreSQL side of things but the Office side. From my experience and from what I can gather Office needs a separate file (.udl .odc, etc) in order to display the results properly.

The discussion here might provide some further insight (first topic - Subject: Re: Mail Merge to SQL Server without using an external ODC):

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?query=dsn+less&dg=microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields&cat=en_us_ee88ce09-9e34-4b0c-8aba-2e17252d39bc&lang=en&cr=us&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

HTH
George

"When you see a new trail, or a footprint you do not know,
follow it to the point of knowing."
- Uncheedah, Grandmother of Ohiyesa