Re: db andtable schemas

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: jl(at)webgremlins(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: db andtable schemas
Date: 2006-12-10 20:32:33
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Original Message From: Jamie Lawrence Jenner ---

> Retrieve a list of tables from a given database
> How to retrieve a list of table properties from a table
> how retireve what constraints a table has
> foreign ekeys
> primary keys

> I would be really greatful if someone could point me in the direction

Jamie, the type of metadata you're looking for is detailed in the
Information Schema:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/infoschema-schema.html

and the PostgreSQL system catalogs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/catalogs-overview.html

You can use ordinary SQL queries to pull the inforamation you require from
these sources.

Regards,
George