Re: Proposal TODO Item: SQL-language reference parameters by name

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal TODO Item: SQL-language reference parameters by name
Date: 2007-10-30 22:38:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thank you Tom.

> I think the most likely implementation would involve adding hooks
> in the parser at places where "unknown column" errors are about to
> be thrown, so that a function language could check for a match to
> one of its variable names only after the query-exposed names are
> checked.
Would this be the right path to follow?

Assuming we are allowed to include parameter names into ParseState, we can
match the "non existing" colnames against the list of parameter
names when transformColumnRef (or someware safe in that path). I Think this
way
we at least can parse a function when CreateFunction is called.

If the above is correct to implement then the check should have low
precedence in order to not break
the current functionality (first colnames, then $n params and then parameter
names)

Regards,
Gevik.