Re: accessing a db

From: "Andy Samuel" <andysamuel(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: accessing a db
Date: 2002-04-30 02:32:39
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
May be you did not shutdown the database when the last time you start it.

Try this :
1.  type 'ps -a' .  Can you see any 'postgres'  in the 'command' column ?
If not proceed to no. 2
2.  type 'rm /usr/share/postgresql/data/'

Each time PostgreSQL runs, it creates the
If you shutdown the database cleanly, the file will be deleted.
Upon starting the postmaster, PostgreSQL check this file, if the file exist,
then it is a sign that a postmaster already running.

Everytime you're done working with Cygwin + PostgreSQL, use this command to
cleanly shutdown the postmaster :
'pg_ctl stop -D /usr/share/postgresq/data'

Hey...I hope this is not a production server.
I can not bear the responsible any lost of your data.

Good luck.