Re: ADO and ODBC: More

From: "NTB Technical Support" <techsupport(at)ntb(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ADO and ODBC: More
Date: 2001-07-05 17:29:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I'd write it off as broken code in ADO, and program around it by not
> using column names that require quoting. Ugly answer, but it's not
> clear that you have an alternative (short of waiting for an ADO fix).

I just don't fancy modifying all those hundreds of pages of code... And it
works with SQL Server,
so that would have to be broken in a compatible fashion!

> I don't like the idea of changing what SQLColAttributes returns ...
> that seems certain to break other applications.

That was, my guess too.

> But first, a wild stab in the dark --- what happens if you write
> RS("""child beds""") = 33
> ie provide the quotes at the application level?

Ah. Well. The recordset is a "collection" (like an associative array) whose
contents is created by ADO from the field names of the most-recently
executed query - so """child beds""" would be a non-existent member of the
collection...

Tim