Re: timestamps

From: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
To: "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: timestamps
Date: 2003-07-21 12:43:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
Cc: "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 12:39 AM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] timestamps

> Donald Fraser wrote:
>
> > pgAdmin III July 16th
> >
> > I noticed a change in the display of "timestamp" data types.
> > Most of my timestamp columns are defined as: "timestamp (0) without
> > time zone"
> > For a while pgAdmin III displayed this as "timestamp (-4)" but now
> > it displays as "timestamp (0)", which is a step forward.
> >
> > My question: is it planned for pgAdmin III to be displaying timestamps
> > correctly with respect to time zones?
> >
> > Regards
> > Donald Fraser.
> >

> PostgreSQL's official name is just timestamp(0), "without time zone" is
> just decoration that's removed on creation.
> with timezone is called timestamptz.
> These type names are read from internal PostgreSQLs tables.

timestamp didn't use to work that way, but having now read the latest
documentation I note the following:
"Note: Prior to PostgreSQL 7.3, writing just timestamp was equivalent to
timestamp with time zone. This was changed for SQL spec compliance"

Thanks for clearing that one up.
Regards
Donald Fraser.