silence and failure of SQL commands

From: "John Payne" <jcpayne(at)uw(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: silence and failure of SQL commands
Date: 2011-04-28 20:08:02
Lists: pgsql-novice
Sorry for getting defensive, and yes I think Leif's suggestion is much
better than mine.  A statistics program I use (R) has a simple and elegant
solution: it drops the cursor one line and puts in a "+" sign.  For example,
here I enter the command "read" at the command prompt (>), and then forget
to close the parenthesis:

> read(

+

That doesn't solve the other potential problem, of forgetting to add the
backslash to internal commands, or of putting a semicolon on them, but if I
remember the error output was clearer in the latter case.

John

John Payne
POST Staff Scientist and US Coordinator
www.postcoml.org

Tel. (206) 463-3404

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Robert PoorDate: 2011-04-28 20:22:24