RE: Postgresql usage clip.

From: "Joseph" <lters(at)mrtc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 09:42:08
Lists: pgsql-general
> >We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,
> >but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need.  People
> have asked
> >about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98
> and report
> >back on the problems they had, but no one has.  I assume
> they got lots
> >of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.
>
>   I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I
> could at least start up the server process.  Even an
> extremely limited server on this platform would be welcome.
> Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(
>
>   I have Cygwin installed, but when I try to start
> postgres.exe I get the following error message:
>
> FATAL 1:  SetPgUserName: no entry in host passwd file
>
>   I also find no postmaster in the install.  So am I just
> wasting time?
>
> Thanks,
>   John

I tried and succeeded in getting Postgres to run on an NT server.
There are some directions on here that are helpful.
There is a util that collects all the user names and groups and puts them in
a /etc/groups and /etc/users files.

Someone directed me to this site
http://www.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

Respectfully - Joseph Showalter