Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "Lee Kindness" <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ulrich Neumann" <U_Neumann(at)gne(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Lee Kindness" <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-26 11:33:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lee,

I wouldn't go for 7.4 in production until after it's gone gold, but being
able to cut the number of boxes per developer by giving them a Win32 native
version would save on everything from the overhead of getting the developers
familiar enough with Linux to be able to admin their own systems, to cutting
the network usage by having the DB and app on the same system, through to
cutting the cost of electricity by only having one box per developer. It
would also be a good way of testing 7.4 against our app so we can plan for
an upgrade when it's released ;).

I've tried open office 1.0.1 and had to ditch it. It had problems with font
rendering and tables that ment many of the forms that people sent as word
documents had chunks that weren't displayed or printed. We did try it on a
box with MS-Word on it to ensure that the setup of the machine wasn't the
issue, Word had no problems, OO failed horribly.

Thanks for the ideas,

Al.