normalization problem

From: "pooja agarwal" <jussna(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: normalization problem
Date: 2001-10-07 06:05:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello ,

I am doing Masters in Computer Application from Allahabad ( India ).
Your article on normalization is very informative.However, I have a
problem relating to this topic, whose table I am unable to
correctly make.

I am mailing you the problem.I hope you don't mind.
This database is used for searching of party or rules on the basis of either judge's name,judgement date,act as reference
or citation.

     Type
     Party
     Act
     Judge_name
     Judgement_date
     Citation

      Direct tax
      IT Act
     PK
     1
     4

      Direct tax
     WT Act
     PK
     2
     5

      Direct tax
     WT Act
     SK
     1
     4

      Direct tax
      IT   Act
     KIP
     3
     6

      Company law
     MRTP Act
     PK
     1
     7

      Company law
     Labour  Act
     YK
     1
     7

      Company law
     Labour law
     KIP
     3
     8

      Citation
     Publication
     Year
     Volume

     Page

        4
     AIR
     1999
     1
     34

        4
     CTR
     1999
     2
     65

        5
     AIR
     1999
     1
     65

        5
     CTR
     1999
     3
     30

        6
     AIR
     2000
     2
     100

        6
     CTR
     2000
     5
     34

            7

     AIR
     1999
     4
     70

      Judgement_date
     Year
     Month
     Date

      1
     1999
     Jan
     26

      2
     1999
     March
     30

      3
     2000
     July
     26

      Act
     Section
     Rule

      IT Act
        1
     R1

      IT Act
        2
     R2

      WT Act
        1
     R3

As you can see, these tables are related to each other on the basis of some common

field and the attributes have in most cases either one to many or many to many relation.

Kindly, help me sovle this problem.

Hoping to receive your reply at the earliest,

thanking you,

pooja

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Christof PetigDate: 2001-10-08 06:39:47