normalization problem

From: "pooja agarwal" <jussna(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: normalization problem
Date: 2001-10-07 06:05:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello ,

I am doing Masters in Computer Application from Allahabad ( India ).
Your article on normalization is very informative.However, I have a
problem relating to this topic, whose table I am unable to
correctly make.

I am mailing you the problem.I hope you don't mind.
This database is used for searching of party or rules on the basis of either judge's name,judgement date,act as reference
or citation.

Type
Party
Act
Judge_name
Judgement_date
Citation

Direct tax
IT Act
PK
1
4

Direct tax
WT Act
PK
2
5

Direct tax
WT Act
SK
1
4

Direct tax
IT Act
KIP
3
6

Company law
MRTP Act
PK
1
7

Company law
Labour Act
YK
1
7

Company law
Labour law
KIP
3
8

Citation
Publication
Year
Volume

Page

4
AIR
1999
1
34

4
CTR
1999
2
65

5
AIR
1999
1
65

5
CTR
1999
3
30

6
AIR
2000
2
100

6
CTR
2000
5
34

7

AIR
1999
4
70

Judgement_date
Year
Month
Date

1
1999
Jan
26

2
1999
March
30

3
2000
July
26

Act
Section
Rule

IT Act
1
R1

IT Act
2
R2

WT Act
1
R3

As you can see, these tables are related to each other on the basis of some common

field and the attributes have in most cases either one to many or many to many relation.

Kindly, help me sovle this problem.

Hoping to receive your reply at the earliest,

thanking you,

pooja