Re: [HACKERS] Adding a field to each tuple

From: "Maurice Gittens" <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Adding a field to each tuple
Date: 1998-02-26 09:45:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Maurice Gittens <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Date: donderdag 26 februari 1998 2:09

>> My challenge:
>> Given an oid, efficiently determine the most derived class the instance
>> belongs to.
>>
>> My intended solution is to add an extra attribute to each tuple
>> which contains the oid of the most derived class it belongs to.

I expect it will also introduce me to quite a few aspects of the postgresql
system.
If I'm going to learn about the system then I might as well get a good
overall
view of how things are organized.
Sure I've read parts of the developers manual but I think this little
project will let
me see (in the source) how information travels from diskstorage all the
way to the client.
Also valuable information on how to debug the backend etc. will be
learned in this way I think.

While trying to fix a large_object memory leak I noticed
that without an understanding of how the many components interrelate
it's almost impossible to fix anything because you don't know who is
responsible for what.

I certainly do appreciate any help I can get.

> This is a lot of overhead for places it is not needed.

Any suggestions for solving the general given problem with less overhead?-:)

Best regards,
Maurice