VS2008: Simple DataGridView not populating

From: "Charles S(dot) Henkel" <csh(at)henktech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: VS2008: Simple DataGridView not populating
Date: 2008-04-01 19:56:36
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Context:

Windows Vista x64

PostgreSQL 8.3 (server on localhost)

psql-obdc v8.03.01

Visual Studio 2008 (VS2008)

Problem:

I created a System DSN using the Data Sources (ODBC) administration tool
located in <system>\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. Note that this is *not* the same
one you get from Control Panel ->Administrative Tools (that one is in
<system>/system32 and can apparently only manage 64 bit DSNs). Test
successful.

In VS2008, add new Data Source picking up one table from the DSN just
created. On Data Sources tab, can rightclick the table and "Preview
Data"...works fine in the IDE, successfully retrieving data from the
database.

Create a trivial Windows Forms Application with a DataGridView [DGV]
control. No code-behind...just connect the DGV Data Source to the DSN table.
Run the application...no data in DGV.

Do exact same thing except with Northwind DSN (sample SQL Server database,
not using PostgreSQL or psql-odbc)...run app...DGV populates just fine.

Analysis:

Enabling mylog in psql-odbc doesn't give much information. If I log the
VS2008 IDE interaction with the DSN (e.g., when using "Preview Data")...it
all looks good.

If I compile the app and execute it with mylog enabled...nothing in the log
file except the intialization from turning on logging. That is, the app
never finds the DSN, and in fact gives an error to that effect:

[ERROR] [IM002] [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found
and no default driver specified.

So it appears that this may be an x64 issue...The application can't find the
DSN probably because there is no entry for it in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI...instead the entry is in the
redirected key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI but
it's not getting redirected there.

I can't understand why the VS2008 IDE can interact with the DSN just fine,
but the simple app can't find it. Perhaps there's a "target platform" I have
to specify? Any ideas?

Charles S. Henkel

Henkel Technical Computing, LLC

9917 Laurel Springs Ave