Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: "PostgreSQL general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP
Date: 2003-05-28 05:15:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Hi Nix,
> >
> > It sounds like you're trying to run the PostgreSQL "Proof of Concept"
> version, which is getting a bit out-of-date now.
> >
> > Although it's a little bit more tedious to install, the proper cygwin
> version is what you really should be looking at for now.
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin

Hi people, thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction - IPC Daemon of Cygwin was not running.

Reasons for my initial failure wre multiple. Firstly, my default installation is on drive D:, while Cygwin was built for drive C:. On the other hand, since the purpose of my installation was to test inputting data from a SQL script, built from XML using XSLT (Xalan), all I needed was a running database. I didn't want to install PostgreSQL as a service. The "pgsqlstart" script doesn't start IPC daemon (maybe this needs to be corrected?). Also, my location of DATA directory was different from the default, due to lack of space.

:-)

Well, having had 2 years of expirience with PgSQL on Tru64 UNIX, I found my way around. :-)

Nix.