Re: problems with sqlsetpos -->having odbc intercept alter command

From: "Hollysugar Webmaster" <webmaster(at)hollysugar(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problems with sqlsetpos -->having odbc intercept alter command
Date: 2003-04-09 16:02:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

MessageDave,

For the moment we have given up on syncing the SyWare product with PostgreSql. We are now shifting our focus to using Microsoft's active sync as a method of syncing to the PostgreSql database. Either of these methods will allow us to communicate and sync with the GIS application we have running on the PDA.

With the active sync connection we are also running into a problem. Active sync is sending the command " Alter table "MSysCeCmobile2" add "ConflictID" integer IDENTITY" which then results in a parse error. I have written the equivalent alter table/column commands setting the column to a serial but I do not know how to intercept the original alter command with my group of commands?

I tried to create a function which I was going to invoke with a rule but setting the default value for the sequence caused an error in the function 'ERROR: Attribute "conflict_id_id" not found'. conflict_id_id is the name of the sequence I created. This is the line of code I used:

' ALTER TABLE "MSysCeCmobile2" ALTER "ConflictID" SET DEFAULT nextval("conflict_id_id");'

When I used single quotes within the nextval function I would get a parse error.

Even if I were to get this function to work correctly it does not appear that PostgreSql has support for a rule on ALTER. Which leads me back to intercepting the ALTER command with the ODBC driver and replacing it with my own ALTER commands.

I'm sorry to be such a bother, but hopefully once we get this worked out, it will be useful to other people who would like to sync a mobile application with PostgreSql.

Julie