archive_command does not execute

From: "George Wilk" <gwilk(at)ellacoya(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: archive_command does not execute
Date: 2007-06-19 12:17:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am attempting to use the WAL archiving on a Solaris machine, running
PostgreSQL 8.1.4.  The archive_command specified in the postgresql.conf file
does not get executed, nor do I see any log entries showing errors etc.
What am I doing wrong here?

Here is the relevant fragment of my conf file:

fsync = on                              # turns forced synchronization on or

wal_sync_method = fsync         # the default is the first option

                                        # supported by the operating system:

                                        #   open_datasync

                                        #   fdatasync

                                        #   fsync

                                        #   fsync_writethrough

                                        #   open_sync

#full_page_writes = on                  # recover from partial page writes

#wal_buffers = 8                        # min 4, 8KB each

#commit_delay = 0                       # range 0-100000, in microseconds

#commit_siblings = 5                    # range 1-1000

# - Checkpoints -

checkpoint_segments = 1         # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each

checkpoint_timeout = 30         #  range 30-3600, in second

checkpoint_warning = 5          # in seconds, 0 is off

# - Archiving -

 archive_command = 'touch /var/lib/pgsql/bkp/myfile'

Here is my log entry for the duration of the test:

FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command

LOG:  shutting down

LOG:  database system is shut down

LOG:  database system was shut down at 2007-06-19 07:48:03 EDT

LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/899E68

LOG:  redo record is at 0/899E68; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

LOG:  next transaction ID: 2445; next OID: 16399

LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0

LOG:  database system is ready

LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database

Thanks in advance,

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Carol WalterDate: 2007-06-19 12:39:41