Re: Regarding Database Service Start

From: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
To: "Khan, Mahmood Ahram" <Mahmood(dot)Khan(at)in(dot)unisys(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <aroravishal22(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Regarding Database Service Start
Date: 2007-06-08 04:46:47
Lists: pgsql-admin
Try to start with following command

pg_ctl start -l logfile

Lets see will it help...
With Regards
Ashish...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Khan, Mahmood Ahram
  To: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org ; pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org ; tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
  Cc: Ashish(dot)Karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com ; aroravishal22(at)hotmail(dot)com
  Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 10:01 AM
  Subject: Regarding Database Service Start

  Hi,

  Whenever I am starting the Database Service of Postgres the cursor is halting at "Database System Is Ready".

  It should come to the prompt so that I can start executing the commands.

  But when I stop the service the cursor is halting at the Prompt. Which is correct.

  This is happening in Linux & Windows both.

  I am specifying the issue I am facing as example below

  C:\>pg_ctl start

  server starting

  C:\>LOG:  database system was shut down at 2007-06-07 16:26:20 India Standard Time

  LOG:  checkpoint record is at 1/13B4C100

  LOG:  redo record is at 1/13B4C100; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

  LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/15083; next OID: 24713

  LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0

  LOG:  database system is ready

  If you see the execution of pg_ctl start you will notice that the cursor gets halted at "LOG:  database system is ready".

  And manually I have to hit Enter to get to the prompt. I would like to know what could be done to overcome this, ie without hitting Enter it should come to the prompt.

  Thanks & Regards

  M.AHRAM KHAN