Re: inserting values like in mySQL

From: "Giorgio A(dot)" <jh(at)libero(dot)it>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inserting values like in mySQL
Date: 2001-05-22 18:10:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

i'll answer only to a part of your question, since i'm not sure of the other
part:

you can create a SEQUENCE with something like:

CREATE SEQUENCE "name_of_the_seq" start 1 increment 1 maxvalue 2147483647
minvalue 1 cache 1

and then add a column like:

"column_name" int4 DEFAULT nextval('name_of_the_seq'::text) NOT NULL

this column will be auto-incrementing, so when you do a INSERT you won't
have to pass any parameter for to this column.

hope this helped you,
Giorgio A.