Re: beta testing version

From: "Horst Herb" <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "xuyifeng" <jamexu(at)telekbird(dot)com(dot)cn>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-11-29 08:51:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> server, before we accept MSSQL, we use this method to test if MSSQL can
endure this kind of strik,
> it's OK, all databases are safely recovered, we can continue our work. we
are a stock exchange company,

And how exactly did you test the integrity of your data? Unless every single
record has got at least a CRC stored somewhere, you won't be able AT ALL to
check for database integrity. The reports from NTFS and MSSQL internal
checking are meaningless for your data integrity.

We are doing this checksumming in our project, and already got a few nasty
surprises when the "CRC daemon" stumbled over a few corrupted records we
never would have discovered otherwise. Exactly this checksumming weeded out
our server alternatives; at present only PostgreSQL is left, was the most
reliable of all.

Horst