Re: BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a file

From: "Sean Utt" <sean(at)strateja(dot)com>
To: "Bernard" <bht(at)actrix(dot)gen(dot)nz>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a file
Date: 2005-08-19 09:19:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

cc'ing the list, haven't seen it show up there....

And yeah, I'm using Outlook Express and the quoting is crappy. So sue me....

I never saw your request rejected, though it did rank low on priority -- in
my book at least. The problem has been discussed at length, and there are
multiple ways to solve your problem without making any changes to postgres.
Because there are so many ways to solve your problem, your request amounts
to a feature, not a bug, and a very low ranking feature at that. Just
because other similar systems do something, does not mean that anyone else
should. If you like the way they do it better, go with them. Microsoft
allowed Outlook to set up volunteer administrators if they sent a properly
crafted email -- some people like that sort of thing.

While I really appreciate your attempts to motivate the postgres team to
action through peer pressure (mysql and all the other databases kiss on the
first date) -- as I said, if you can't personally fix the problem, and you
won't/can't pay someone else to fix the problem, then you have to hope that
the problem bugs someone who can pay to fix the problem, or that someone who
can fix the problem feels the itch, and can scratch it. That may or may not
make you happy, but it is the reality. Again, there are many other ways to
solve this problem (uploading bulk table date) -- I am going to make a
wild-ass guess that the phpPgAdmin team have had to address this issue
(http://phppgadmin.org/) and have come to some compromise.

Dump the vinegar, try the honey.

Sean