Re: SQLException: Invalid precision value. Cannot be less than zero

From: "Nebojsa Vasiljevic" <nebojsa(at)sw4i(dot)com>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <amit(dot)handa(at)sun(dot)com>,<kmacclay(at)vantage(dot)com>, <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQLException: Invalid precision value. Cannot be less than zero
Date: 2005-02-10 09:50:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
> This has been discussed, partially offlist, with Sun in the context of
> getColumnDisplaySize returning -1 for text and varchar with no length
> attribute fields.  I've been waiting for a suggestion from Sun on what
> value to use, or if they will alter their code to remove this check.

javax.sql.rowset.RowSetMetaDataImpl class is part of Sun JDK 1.5.
I don't like Sun forces  nonegative values in
javax.sql.rowset.RowSetMetaDataImpl,
but we can't change it. Sun will not change the JDK to make PosgreSQL driver
work.

Don't wait for Sun's suggestion, just look how other drivers works.

> Your suggestion of using 0 passes their check, but still isn't legal:
>
> jurka=# create table nt (a numeric(0,0));
> ERROR:  NUMERIC precision 0 must be between 1 and 1000

"create table nt (a numeric(0,0))" is as illegal as "create table nt (a
numeric(-1,-1))".
Precision  0 stands for "create table nt (a numeric)".

Nebojsa