Simple Q: Does the ODBC driver support LONGVARCHAR?

From: "Adam Rossi" <adam(dot)rossi(at)platinumsolutions(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Simple Q: Does the ODBC driver support LONGVARCHAR?
Date: 2000-06-19 19:26:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Does the ODBC driver support longvarchar? It seems that no matter what I do
with the settings for the driver, such as checking "Unknowns as
LongVarChar", "Text as LongVarChar", "Parse Statements", etc., the
longvarchar type NEVER works. In this simple SQL statement:

create table test_table

testid INTEGER,
text_field LONGVARCHAR,
var_field VARCHAR(250),
char_field CHAR(1))

the field "text_field" defined as type "LONGVARCHAR" will always cause the
statement to fail with the following message:

ERROR: Unable to locate type name 'longvarchar' in catalog' (#17)

If I change the "LONGVARCHAR" to "TEXT", the statement below works fine:

create table test_table

testid INTEGER,
text_field TEXT,
var_field VARCHAR(250),
char_field CHAR(1))

Since I am relying on some builder tools that only support ODBC standard
types (i.e. LONGVARCHAR and not TEXT), it would make my life a lot easier if
I could get LONGVARCHAR to work. Is this some deficiency in the driver?
Shouldn't an ODBC driver support the major ODBC types? Could anyone point me
in the right direction to hack the driver if it currently does not support
this syntax?

Thanks for your help.

- Adam