RE: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers

From: "Oscar Serrano" <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers
Date: 1999-11-29 13:12:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

----- Original Message -----
From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: Oscar Serrano <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 1999 7:27 AM

> > ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01BF383C.AE4DF100
> >

> > Hi:
> > I'm from Spain. I've exported some tables from MS Access to Postgres. =
> > You
> > know, in Spain, a number like this: 1,234.56 me write it like this:
> > 1.234,56
> > i.e., the thousand separator is the "." and the decimal separator is the
=
> > ","
> >
> > I'm going to use Perl (DBI) to get the data from the databases.
> > Is there anyway so DBI or postgress gives me the data in the spanish =
> > format?
> >
> > I wouldn't like to use somethink like this:
> > $result=3D~s/\./,/g;
> > to convert all "." to "," and vice-versa.
> >
> Certainly you can use the substitution operator to replace the .'s with
,'s
> and the ,'s with .'s. The main problem is that the first substitution you
> make will cause all one character to become the character you are about
> to convert next. As in:
>
> 1,234.52
>
> becomes:
>
> 1.234.52
>
> when replacing your comma. So on the next step you have no nice way of
telling
> which is the real . you wish to replace with ,. One way around this is to
> replace one of the symbols with a third symbol not found in a number:
>
> $result =~ s/\./\@/g; # Periods to @'s
> $result =~ s/\,/\./g; # commas to periods
> $result =~ s/\@/\,/g; # @'s to commas
>
> On the other hand if you don't use the susbstitution operator and instead
> use tr, the translation operator, you can get away with doing it in
> one fell swoop:
>
> $result =~ tr/.,/,./;
>
> and that should do it (-:

I never used the tr (translation operator), but I see that in this case is
better that the =~s
But What I was trying is that postgres returns the values in the spanish
format, not having to translate ,'s to .'s and viceversa

As I told in previos messages, I thing I must compile Postgres
with --use-locale and have defined some variables. But I'm not sure how to
define that variables, and in case I have them well defined, I don't know if
it is needed extra configuration in my Linux, or have installed any spanish
library or whatever.

Thank you very much.