Re: records chaining

From: tövis <tovises(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: "pgsql novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: records chaining
Date: 2005-04-20 08:36:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'am migrating from "single-user" database (Clarion - TopSpeed) to
PostgreSQL. I'am newbie not only in PostgreSQL but in SQL also.
With previouse database handling it was important to keep database files
relativelly short "chunks":
- single-user is always draw hole database file to the client;
- archiving is very comfortable - 500 Mbyte pen drive was enough to draw
all news;
- now speed penalty for growing database files (I met SQL system where
every year
datas should be moved to an "archive", because of the painfull speed -
not PostgreSQL).
The system, what I planning is receiving short binary messages from some
thousend of different sources, after converted to hex ASCII it's about 30
Mbyte of ASCII string, in old system, in a quarter received about 8,000,000
messages - records.
I would like to automate every year moving the database, keep it that way to
get "archive" from the same application, to give the user easy way to get
"messages" from 5 or more years old.
The hardware is not choosen. I will do that, but of course I need to keep a
realistic budget, and the accent should be on reliability, based not on
clustering but on flexibility. That means I need keep large database in easy
to handle size(s) - mirrored...
The record "chaining" is need to keep track changing of sources database,
where always are large fluctuation and modification - some hundred of
records in a month. I've should track what and who and when changed the
record!