Re: Source name not found

From: "- Barry -" <mail(at)polisource(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Source name not found
Date: 2004-06-13 23:17:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Mike,

> In cygwin the perl module is named DBD:Pg.
> In activestate the same perl module is named DBD::PgPP.

I think DBD::Pg and DBD::PgPP are two different modules, at least to
Activestate and Cpan. If Cygwin only includes DBD:Pg and it's the same as
Cpan's and Activestates DBD::Pg, then I don't think it's what I want. I
heard that DBD::Pg requires an old version of MSVC, and I know someone who
couldn't get DBD::Pg to work on Windows even with Cygwin and MSVC, so
DBD::PgPP was suggested to me, but DBD::PgPP has alot of non-core module
dependencies and is only up to version .05, so I want to avoid that too.
Then someone suggested ODBC, which is what I'm having a problem with.

> DSN should be replaced with the name of odbc connection you created in
your DBI connect statement.

> If you used the default when creating the odbc in the control panel->data
sources I believe it is named Postgresql.

I tried replacing "DSN" with "Postgresql" and "PostgreSQL" and I got the
same error. I don't remember doing anything with any control panel, and I
don't know where to find the proper DSN. I see now that if I searched the
DBI module documentation for "environment" rather then "environmental" I
would have learned which environmental variable to set, but I still wouldn't
know what to set it with.

If I remember correctly, I just followed the first two instructions at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN then I decided not to do
the basic installation because I don't want to be limited, so I followed the
"NT services Cygwin PostgreSQL installation procedure" at
http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README . I
had to search for the solutions to many problems that I encountered along
the way--in other words, the instructions didn't work. I found most
solutions, including the proper way to set environmental variables, other
packages that needed installing, and chmod commands that "usually" solve one
of the problems (the last email to this list, from David, lists those
commands, which are included in the instructions I was following, but in a
bad place), but now I have this problem with the DSN. This is why I didn't
read the entire documentation for DBD::ODBC and DBI. I had no confidence
that it would have helped me and I needed step-by-step confirmation that
stuff is working, starting with an initial connection to the database.

I'm seriously considering avoiding anything that requires Cygwin. I'll
either use MySQL or I could build a suitable storage solution for my needs
in less than one day. Trying to get PostgreSQL to work has taken me a week,
and I'd still have to learn SQL after that.

Sorry if this post isn't in the spirit of this list. I appreciate the help,
but I just about had enough.

Barry