Autovacuum working / not working ?

From: "Machiel Richards" <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Autovacuum working / not working ?
Date: 2010-05-05 05:28:04
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi All

   I hope that someone can perhaps assist me with some insight into the
autovacuum as well.

    I have a couple of Postgresql databases at a client site.

   The autovacuum is enabled, however when I run the sql query below it does
not return any results:

select relname, last_vacuum, last_analyze,last_autovacuum,last_autoanalyze

from pg_stat_all_tables

where schemaname = 'public';

postgres-# where schemaname = 'public';

 relname | last_vacuum | last_analyze | last_autovacuum | last_autoanalyze

(0 rows)

                They are running  a combination of postgresql 8.1 and 8.3
over a couple of servers.

  The current settings for the autovacuum are as follows:

autovacuum                      | on                                       |
Starts the autovacuum subprocess.

 autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor | 0.1
| Number of tuple inserts, updates or deletes prior to analyze as a fraction
of reltuples.

 autovacuum_analyze_threshold    | 50
| Minimum number of tuple inserts, updates or deletes prior to analyze.

 autovacuum_freeze_max_age       | 200000000
| Age at which to autovacuum a table to prevent transaction ID wraparound.

 autovacuum_max_workers          | 3
| Sets the maximum number of simultaneously running autovacuum worker

 autovacuum_naptime              | 1min
| Time to sleep between autovacuum runs.

 autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay    | 20ms
| Vacuum cost delay in milliseconds, for autovacuum.

 autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit    | -1
| Vacuum cost amount available before napping, for autovacuum.

 autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor  | 0.2
| Number of tuple updates or deletes prior to vacuum as a fraction of

 autovacuum_vacuum_threshold     | 50

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Machiel Richards

Relational Database Consulting