checkpoint_timeout irrelevant in 8.1.9

From: "George Wilk" <gwilk(at)ellacoya(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: checkpoint_timeout irrelevant in 8.1.9
Date: 2007-06-20 17:26:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
According to the WAL config documentation correctly, checkpoints are created
checkpoint_segments log segments, or every
checkpoint_timeout seconds, whichever comes first.  However, it seems as
though setting my checkpoint_timeout has no effect on checkpoint creation (
I have it set to 30 seconds).  Forcing checkpoint by running psql -c
CHECKPOINT mydb doesn't do the trick either.  Checkpoints are created solely
based on the checkpoint_segments logs reaching their configured size.

This is not satisfactory in a low transaction volume environment.  Any hints
on how else can I trigger checkpoint?

Thanks in advance,

pgsql-admin by date