Re: setting port number? making 7.4.1 cygwin and 8.0.1 msi

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Daniel Convissor <danielc(at)analysisandsolutions(dot)com>,PostgreSQL Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setting port number? making 7.4.1 cygwin and 8.0.1 msi
Date: 2005-02-03 19:47:06
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hi Dan;

There might be others with more pertinent advice than I can give.

I installed 8 Beta 5 and then 8.0 on a Win XP machine having 7.3.2 installed
under Cygwin.

When installing 8 a message advises removing cygwin/bin from the System
Path.  I did that for the installation, and then added it back to the path
after the installation of 8 was complete.  I haven't experienced any
problems but the caution must be there for a reason :-).

When using the msi installer, you have the option of setting the Port for 8.
I installed 8 beta 5 using 5433 and 8.0 using 5434.  I will be uninstalling
the beta 5 version shortly and the 7.3 version later on, and will adjust the
ports accordingly.

Under such a scenario, you may run into conflicts starting psql (there will
be more than one version on the machine) and to get to the right database
you will have to specify the port when initiating psql or setting up pgAdmin
3.

Other than that I have haven't experienced any problems (or maybe I've just
been lucky...)

Regards,
George