Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: "Jim Jones" <jjones(at)aantix(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-hackers-win32'" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-15 08:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

I didn't see the package available for download earlier, but it appears
to be posted now.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=019139c0-16ff-4
de5-bba3-7e2515f0f7a9&DisplayLang=en

Here's a short summary of some of the capabilities of SFU (Slashdot
poster):

We've been using SFU 3.0 and its predecessor for 5 years now to provide
our Database Engine and Tools on Windows Boxes as well as our usual
Solaris, AIX, Linux, Unixware and SGI. I woudl like to think that by now
I am one of the more experienced Interix developers kicking round. I
have to say, It's really very good and keeps getting better. MS are
moving to being Unix by stealth, SFU is a unix on the NT Microkernal and
it doesnt suffer from Win32 issues. Fork works, You can delete a file
thats in use (yes inodes work !!), create a new one with the same name
and open that in a different process. I've seen Interix 2.0 evolve info
SFU 3.0 and 3.5 and I've had MS fix bugs in the allocator part of MMAP
within days and release a private patch. Somehow I think there is a
little group of diehard Unix lovers in MS working to turn everything on
its head the same way Apple got OSX. Anyway waffle over - Try it as a
build environment it's geat. What I want to see is Wine on SFU - then
All windows apps work over X - whoopee.

Jim