Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug and/or feature? Complex data types in tables...
Date: 2004-01-01 01:20:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

This concept of using complex types in tables actually does have one
legitimate use. When used with casts and functions, you could use it as a
"poor-man's datatype" development method.

Here is a hypothetical example. Imagine for a moment that there was no CIDR
datatype. I could create a datatype as a set of ints and then create
casting functions which I could use for display of the data. This would be
similar to C except that it could be done by people like myself whose C
coding skills are not up to the level where I or anyone else would want them
in the database backend ;-)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers