Re: PostgreSQL future ideas

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "'PGSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date: 2008-09-25 09:50:00
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> Advantage of C++ is that it reduce lot of OO code written in
> C in PostgreSQL, but it is so big effort to do that without
> small gain. It will increase number of bugs. Do not forget
> also that C++ compiler is not so common (so good) on
> different platforms. If somebody interesting in that yes but
> like a fork ( PostgreSQL++ :-).

Reducing OO code that is written in C is one of my major interests. After
some investigating myself it appears that having the codebase fully
(rewritten in C++ will have an impact on the performance. So I guess such an
effort will result the code being more C++ish and fully OO, being a mixture
in C with some OO taste.

> Better idea is to start to use C99 in PostgreSQL ;-).

I have not investigated this yet. But I am very interested to know what the
advantages would be to "upgrade" the code to C99 standards.

Regards,
Gevik
http://www.truesoftware.net/gevik/