Linker Problems

From: "isaac flemmin" <isaac(at)knox(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Linker Problems
Date: 2002-06-04 20:17:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

This is only a small annoyance but I figured I would ask to see if
anyone out there has any clues on how to fix it.

I am using Linux Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.9-31. I have glibc
2.2.4-24, ld 2.10.91, gcc 2.96, and Postgres 7.2.

My problem is when I am compiling programs I have written using lpq I
have to give my compiler -L/<dir to libpq> even though it is in my
ld.so.conf file and I have run ldconfig. I even checked to make sure
that ldconfig was seeing those libraries by running ldconfig -p to print
out the cache and see if the libraries were listed there and they were.
I am not sure why ld is not seeing the libraries unless I specifically
tell it to search the path where the libraries are, and it is not that
hard to type in -L/<some dir> but it is slightly annoying that it does
not work correctly.

So if there is anyone out there who may have some clues about which
direction to start looking for the solution in, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Isaac
--
P.S. Somehow it seems like I ended up sending this message to the wrong