Re: [NOVICE] How can i create users in cygwin ?

From: A_Schnabel(at)t-online(dot)de (Andre Schnabel)
To: "Tamara D(dot) Blum" <tblum(at)jus(dot)gov(dot)ar>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] How can i create users in cygwin ?
Date: 2001-08-29 06:20:57
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tamara D. Blum" <tblum(at)jus(dot)gov(dot)ar>
Subject: [NOVICE] How can i create users in cygwin ?

> Hi everyone !
> I created users in postgresql (CREATE USER ....), but when i try to access
postgresql from an application with one of the created users there is an
error (invalid user or password).
> Do I have to create the same user in cygwin ? How can i do that ?

You don't need a cygwin user for each postgresql user. You should be able
to setup a user for your db-connection.
But 1st, pleas answer some questions:
What type of apllication do you have (psql; self-made app, connecting via
odbc ...) ?
Is your application and postgresql on the same computer or are you
connecting over a network?

If you work with psql, some hints may be found at the docs of the PostgreSQL
client-apps. (
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?reference-client.html)

For setting up connections via network have look at the doc's chapter 4.1
(client auth.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?client-authentication.html#PG-HBA.
CONF)