RE: [HACKERS] 8K block limit

From: "Stupor Genius" <stuporg(at)erols(dot)com>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] 8K block limit
Date: 1999-02-18 01:37:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I think some file systems are more optimised for 8K blocks. I may be
> > thinking on the original reason for the 8k limit in the first
> > place, but I remember there was discussions about this when the block
> > size was altered.
>
> Yes, most UFS file systems use 8k blocks/2k fragments. It allows write
> of block in one i/o operation.

The max is 32k because of the aforementioned 15 bits available, but I'd
be a bit cautious of trying it. When I put this in, the highest I could
get to work on AIX was 16k. Pushing it up to 32k caused major breakage
in the system internals. Had to reboot the machine and fsck the file
system. Some files were linked incorrectly, other files disappeared, etc,
a real mess.

Not sure exactly what it corrupted, but I'd try the 32k limit on a non-
production system first...

Darren