Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)

From: "Kardos, Dr(dot) Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Date: 2000-04-12 12:31:53
Lists: pgsql-ports

> "Kardos, Dr. Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de> writes:
> > 1) psql cannot be made since perl is used to generate sql_help.h. There
is
> > no perl on this machine. So configure doesn't help if perl is used
anyway.

> sql_help.h is (or should be) part of the distribution tarball. Was it
> not present, or perhaps out-of-date? In any case the Makefile for psql
> looks like it will not try to regenerate sql_help.h unless configure
> found perl.

The entries in Makefile.global are
Makefile.global:USE_PERL= false
Makefile.global:PERL= perl

PERL= perl seems to be static (see Makefile.global.in)

Since in psql/Makefile only PERL but not USE_PERL is checked, perl will be
called always if sql_help.h is not present. But since sql-help.h is in the
distribution tarball this ist not really a problem.

> > psql: PQconnectPoll() -- couldn't send startup packet: errno=22
> > Invalid argument
>
> > TCP/IP or Unix domain sockets doesn't matter.
>
> That's odd. Can you get in there with a debugger (or add some printfs)
> and see what's going wrong exactly? That message can only come from
> one place, but the subroutine it's reporting failure of does several
> kernel calls.

pqFlush() fails because send() fails with the following parameters:

send(sock = 3, ptr = 4a320, len = 296, 0) => -1
errno = 22 (EINVAL)

The man pages sais that EINVAL may occure only in sendto() but not in
send()!!!
The parameters seem to be OK for me.
There is the same behaviour for UNIX domain and for TCP sockets.
????

BTW, configure picks up the wrong template solaris_sparc_gcc instead of
solaris_sparc_cc. But this is probably not the cause of the problem.

We don't really need Solaris support here. I only wanted to give it a try
due to the call for porting reports.

It seems to me that the Mailing lists hang again a little bit. I don't get
the mails back I have sent. Furthermore here is much less traffic as
usually.

Regards,
Andreas Kardos