pgadmin not responding

From: "Matt Doggett" <mdoggett(at)coas(dot)oregonstate(dot)edu>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgadmin not responding
Date: 2004-03-18 19:22:30
Lists: pgadmin-support
I have a *very* large database (20 million+ records per table). When I
select a table, pgadmin wants to display various information about the
table properties. The message "Retrieving Table details." displays in
the status bar.  While it is doing this the program is effectively
non-responsive and when I look in the Task manager, I see the "Not
responding." message for any pgadmin windows.  In addition, if I change
my mind, I can't cancel the operation and I'm basically stuck until
pgadmin "revives".

Not sure if anything can be done about this, but I'd thought I'd let you
developer wizards know about this behavior on BIG tables.

-Matt

ps. On my system it takes about 2.5 minutes to get table information on
a table with nearly 21 million rows.

Matt Doggett
Spatial Climate Analysis Service
Oregon State University
316 Strand Ag Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331
(541)737-9153
mdoggett(at)coas(dot)oregonstate(dot)edu

pgadmin-support by date