Newbie help needed on Functions

From: "Jim Steil" <jim(dot)steil(at)customcall(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Newbie help needed on Functions
Date: 2002-09-24 18:59:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi:

I want to create a function that will return rows from a table based upon a parameter that I pass.

TABLE - NAMES
int ID,
varchar(50) NAME,
varchar(50) ADDRESS,
char(2) STATE

I would like my function to return the same result as it would if I entered the following SQL statement:

select ID, NAME, ADDRESS from NAMES where STATE = 'WI';

I want to pass 'WI' as a parameter. I have looked through the programming guide but am confused by the return type and such. Any help or pointers to further documentation would certainly be appreciated.

-Jim