timeout implementation issues

From: "Nicolas Bazin" <nbazin(at)ingenico(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: timeout implementation issues
Date: 2002-04-24 00:04:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I also want to implement the same feature but for ecpg. On INFORMIX there is the following syntax to control timeouts:
SET LOCK MODE TO [WAIT [seconds] | NO WAIT]

There is 2 possibilities:
- either the pre-processor implements execution of the statement with the asynchronous functions. Then I have 2 issues, the polling delay will slow down the transaction performance, and I don't have a way to implement the NO WAIT for I would have to know if the statement is being processed right away or is waiting for another transaction to complete.
- the backend implements this syntax and returns an error code for timeout.