Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From: "George Weaver" <georgew1(at)mts(dot)net>
To: "Jason Tishler" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report
Date: 2003-04-16 13:43:48
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Jason,

No I did not. I have successfully installed PostgreSQL to run as a service
on XP Home and Pro, and NT4, without using ntrights. The rights can be
assigned with the tools provided with XP Home and Pro as follows:

"To install postgresql as a service in XP it must be started by a user with
password, and the password can't be blank. Make sure you define a user name
and password in the cygrunsrv command when you install postgresql as a
service. If a postmaster.log file exists in "c:\cygwin\var\log" directory,
delete or rename it (this assumes that you've named the service
"postmaster"). Then go to the services menu (Start > Settings > Control
Panel > Administrative Tools > Services), and locate the postmaster service
in the listing of services. Right click on the postmaster service and
choose Properties, then the "Log on" tab. Choose "This account:" and enter
the appropriate login name and password. If you started XP with this user
name and id, you should now be able to start the service. If you haven't
started XP with this user name and password, do so, and the service should
start automatically when you log in." (posted to
<pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
on March 16).

Regards,
George