Re: Row Size

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Row Size
Date: 2000-04-27 21:17:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> I need a tuple with 50k in size. I already know how to
> change the size and make it bigger. But I'm not sure
> about the maximum size it supports. Does anyone ever
> used a row size greater than 32k?

From the TOAST page (http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html),

"The PostgreSQL database system has a very old, deeply hardwired
limitation. It is the fact, that each row of every table must fit into the
on-disk blocksize, which is 8K by default. Unfortunately, changing the
blocksize has a number of unwanted side effects, and currently blocksizes
are limited to a maximum of 32K. So this cannot be the solution. "

You'll have to use long objects, or the TOAST stuff.

steve