Re: ODBC driver and linked server in MSSQL 2k

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <friggstadk(at)ironsolutions(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver and linked server in MSSQL 2k
Date: 2005-08-09 09:21:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc
-----Original Message-----
From: "Kirk Friggstad"<friggstadk(at)ironsolutions(dot)com>
Sent: 08/08/05 17:07:55
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [ODBC] ODBC driver and linked server in MSSQL 2k

> "Invalid use of schema and/or catalog for
> OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'. A
> four-part name was supplied, but the
> provider does not expose the necessary
> interfaces to use a catalog and/or schema."

I found the driver was incorrectly reporting catalog support on Friday and committed a fix for it.

Can you wait for the next snapshot, or do you want an updated dll to test? (might not be until Thursday though).

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Hi all:

I've been trying to get our MS SQL Server 2000 to interoperate with our
PostgreSQL server (7.4.3 on RedHat 9, backend for Lyris LM 8.0) as a linked
server via the ODBC driver. When viewing it through Enterprise Manager, it
is able to display all the tables and views, but any attempt to access the
tables via SQL (on the MSSQL 2k server) gives an error message:

"Invalid use of schema and/or catalog for OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'. A
four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the necessary
interfaces to use a catalog and/or schema."

I've done a bunch of googling the past couple days, and digging through the
mailing list archives, and while I've found others who have encountered the
same problem that I have, I haven't found anyone posting that they've found
a solution. Has anyone on this list made a working linked server connection
from MSSQL 2k to PostgreSQL using the official ODBC driver?

Thanks

Kirk

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2005-08-09 09:48:15