Error raised whilst running Postgres as a service (Win2000 Pro)

From: "Nick Stone" <nicks(dot)email(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error raised whilst running Postgres as a service (Win2000 Pro)
Date: 2003-09-03 19:29:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi

I have managed to get postmaster to start from Cygwin's command prompt and I
have installed IPC-Deamon and started it as per insructions in the dob
http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README.
However when I try to start the postmaster service I get the following error
in the postmaster log:

> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1499136, 03600) failed: Not
enough core> >

> This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
> To reduce the request size (currently 1499136 bytes), reduce
> PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
> its max_connections parameter (currently 32).
>
> The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
> shared memory configuration.

I realise that to some extent the answer may lie in the error message but I
have read other threads about Win 2003 and I wanted to make sure that I
wasn't going down the wrong route by trying to adjust the parameters listed.
Also could somebody explain why I get the error message as a service but not
when postmaster is run as a separte program?

Many thanks

Nick

Nick Stone

161 Hare Lane home: +44 (0)1372 467902
Claygate mobile: +44 (0)7779 300857
Surrey eMail: nicks(dot)email(at)bigfoot(dot)com
KT10 0RA
UK