Re: Hebrew support

From: "Dannyl(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il" <dannyl(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hebrew support
Date: 2002-02-18 15:18:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

MessageDave,
Thank you -
fwiw - VB supports hebrew fine.

There are two issues I believe - 1 for Pgadmin and 1 for PG
1) Input methods - W2K supports input methods in just about every language known to man. At installation time you choose lang. support and you're set. This enables you to do a right-alt-shift in W2K and start typing hebrew in any Windows application. It might be an issue of which VB objects for input methods you use or how you use them .

2) Data encoding - Windows 2K and Office deal with Unicode as UCS-2. PG encodes with UTF-8. I think what is happening (and mind you I may be wrong) - is that Pgadmin reads the UTF-8 and being a Windows application tries to display it in whatever encoding it's objects support. Excel can READ a PG UTF-8 encoded table but needs to export as a Web page in UTF-8 to be able to display the hebrew properly.

This is why Pgaccess works ok - it is written in tcl8 and reads UTF-8 from PG and displays the hebrew using it's i18n library.

HAVING said all this - all I really want to do is to get Postgres 7.1 or 7.2 to order hebrew properly in any encoding - which doesnt seem to work.... -:(

Rgrds
Danny