put text list into table form

From: "Web2cad" <alex(at)web2cad(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: put text list into table form
Date: 2006-01-26 02:23:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi
I have a list of cities stored in flat file that I would like to left join with another table.

The file looks like this:
city1,city2,city3

I want to put them into a table like this:
 city
--------
city1
city2
city3

I don't actually want to store them into the data base. I just want to get the above table with a select statement.

At the moment I'm using this statement which I feel is rather ugly:
select 'city1' union select 'city2' union select 'city3'

Is there a way of putting a text list into table form without using a bunch of unions? Like a row separator  (RS)?
So I can do something like
select 'city1'(RS)'city2'(RS)'city3'

Thanks for any help

pgsql-novice by date