ODBC and VB5 Progress... But still not there

From: "Eric Damron" <edamron(at)home(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC and VB5 Progress... But still not there
Date: 2000-05-04 15:48:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks to all that told me about needing unique indexes in order to access
an ODBC database. One of my tables has a three part composite primary key.
I'm assuming that all primary keys have by default unique indexes. I found
that I didn't have the "recognize Unique Indexes" box checked in my ODBC
driver.

To make things simple I created one (1) table with two columns in my
PostgreSQL database:

CREATE TABLE race(
raceid serial PRIMARY KEY,
Description char(30) NOT NULL
)

Then I wrote a little code to try to update the table using VB5:

Option Explicit
Dim rsWarHammer As Recordset
Dim dbWarHammer As Database

Private Sub cmdAdd_Click()
rsWarHammer.AddNew
MsgBox (rsWarHammer.Updatable)
rsWarHammer!Description = txtDescription.Text
rsWarHammer.Update
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim strConnect As String, strSQL As String
strSQL = "SELECT RaceID, Description FROM race"
strConnect = "ODBC;uid=eric;pwd=grnthing;database = warhammer"
Set dbWarHammer = OpenDatabase("", , False, strConnect)
Set rsWarHammer = dbWarHammer.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
End Sub

The message box now tells me that the record set is updateable! This is
good news. It use to return a false.
I still get an error however: "Run-time error '3155': ODBC --insert on
linked table '???' failed.

What's the missing piece here?

Thanks again!