Efficiency

From: "Neil Burrows" <nburrows(at)gssec(dot)bt(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Efficiency
Date: 1998-07-21 12:27:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I'm using Postgres as a backend to a web server. One particular database
can only be viewed by users and not modified.

When the user arrives at the site I want them to be told how many entries
are in a table. This will be done using Server side includes.

My question is however, is performing a COUNT operation every time a user
loads a page going to be very costly in terms of CPU usage?

The database will not be updated very often, so it would be possible just to
update a text file holding the number of records in the table.

Anyone know if the count operation would be a bad idea?

Neil