Downgrade database and problem with sequences

From: "Sebastian Rychter" <srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'sql pgsql'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Downgrade database and problem with sequences
Date: 2008-12-19 13:03:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am currently using postgresql 8.3 and whenever I want to get the last
inserted ID use :
Select currval(pg_get_serial_sequence(table, field))

Then, I had to downgrade a database for certain customer to use postgresql
8.1, and when I execute that same function I found that
pg_get_serial_sequence returns nothing.

Is there any way to dump my database and then restore it on a previous
version and keep using that pg_get_serial_sequence() function ?

Thanks,

Sebastian