help from Portugal

From: Pedro Miguel Guedes <pmg01(at)netc(dot)pt>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: help from Portugal
Date: 2003-10-30 08:38:42
Lists: pgsql-novice
I have a crazy problem here.
Nobody seems to known why.
I am not a database expert nor do known much about
Postgres.
I am just a system administrator trying to move a database from
one system to another.
O the old system (slackware linux) the postgres was downloaded
an compiled from source.
O the new system (Red Hat 9.0) the postgres was installed from
rpm precompiled binaries.
Everything seemed ok.
I pg_dump from the original.
I createdb anf pg_restore on the destination.

On the old system I did the query:
SELECT * FROM contactos WHERE empresa_nome ILIKE ´%nestlé%´;

and it did work
O the new system it does not produce nothing!???

if I do
SELECT * FROM contactos WHERE empresa_nome ILIKE ´%NESTLÈ%´;
it works!

For queried material where accent on letters does not matter like NISA/nisa
there are no problems with the query.

The problem seems to be on accent on letters. So I thought maybe some stuff
on charsets/encoding and I tried all the advices on the html/docs changing
database and client encodings to LATIN1 (it was SQL_ASCII) to no help.
Environ var like LANG and LC_ALL equal "pt_PT" on /etc/init.d/postgres.

The guys who did the programming on the dadbase do not known any clues.
Me, has I said, I am not expert and I a bit lost not knowing what to do
next.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Pedro Guedes
PORTUGAL
pmg01(at)netc(dot)pt

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Daniel MigowskiDate: 2003-10-30 08:43:54