Re: PostGIS with Mapserver/Mapscript 4.0 - how to stop warning messages...

From: "Mike Leahy" <mgleahy(at)fes(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGIS with Mapserver/Mapscript 4.0 - how to stop warning messages...
Date: 2003-09-17 00:44:35
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

All,

I've eventually determined that my problem is in fact related to the warning
messages. While the best solution is to wait for the latest mapserver
build, I decided to see if it would work if I could stop those messages. So
I basically just wiped any code in PostgreSQL that sent those specific
messages. Now it all works like a charm.

Here are the actual changes I made:

pquery.c - lines 112-113 commented out:

elog(WARNING, "Closing pre-existing portal \"%s\"",
portalName);

xact.c - line 1562 commented out:

elog(WARNING, "BEGIN: already a transaction in progress");

The only problem with this is, I'd rather not be blocking warning messages.
I'd prefer that they were directed specifically to the log file, rather than
just disappearing them with the approach I used above. Someone from another
list suggested I do something to handle the stderr calls by writing a custom
notice handler that to send them somewhere. I think such a task is beyond
my skills at the moment. I did try setting-up the postmaster service with
the parameter '--sterr' directed to a log file, but that made no change to
the output in the PHP script. I actually found that a log file was already
being kept by default anyway.

Would anybody know of another option that might be better than just hacking
the source code?

Kind regards,
Mike