PostgreSQL setup on dual boot laptop

From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson(at)jecinc(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL setup on dual boot laptop
Date: 2002-06-28 14:05:06
Lists: pgsql-novice
I'm looking for advice on the concept of how I should set up my laptop

I've already set it up as dual boot Win98 and RH7.3 Linux

Here's my scenario:
small LAN with a Linux server running with mainly Windows workstations
(would like to switch workstations to Linux)

Here's the tasks I'd like to do
1. convert an existing MS Access database to PostgreSQL and change the Front
end to HTML based or OpenOffice
2. Have offline access to our main database (contacts & project listings)
when the laptop is disconnected from the LAN (two way replication)
3. Allow other laptop users to also have similar setup for offline access
(two other laptop users)
4. Have final system work under both Windows and Linux

Here's what I think will work (I'd like comments):
1. run cygwin under Windows to provide PostgreSQL and Apache servers.  Wwhen
running Linux, local servers can be run normally (can the Linux PostgreSQL
use the same data files as the cygwin PostgreSQL)
2. setup some kind of replication system for both Windows/Cygwin and Linux
to sync the laptop to the server when connected (can this be automated for
Windows?  Linux?)